What is a blog
I am sure you might have heard this word a couple of times and even you have tried to find out the meaning. You might also have heard about blogger and WordPress. We will discuss about wordpress and why wordpress has emerged as most popular medium to quick website development.
As per Wikipedia the definition of blog is as follows
So basically, it is all about contents displayed in the form of individual posts.
This article which you are reading right now is also a blog post. The main objective of a blog site is sharing information. Each blog site will have a specific niche. It is nothing but a common topic on which the blogger would publish posts.
A niche can be anything from art to science, gardening tips, electronic gadgets etc.. All the posts under a particular category will have related information. Most of the times, these articles would be interrelated.
I hope, now you got a rough idea about a blog site. Well, now let’s check out different types of blogs as per the platform on which they are built up. Below are a few most famous platforms.
When we are having all the above technologies then why WordPress? Obviously, the most popular and versatile platform among the top list is WordPress. You can buy a cheap Linux hosting for mere $2 per month from any of the hosting providers listed below
Most of the tech blogs advice you not to go for cheap hosting, but I recommend you to select the basic one first. I have opted Go Daddy for hosting because they are offering the cheapest hosting in India. Once you learn from your experience, any time you can upgrade your site to better configuration easily. So far we have seen why WordPress has emerged as a leader among the above list of technologies.
Moreover, if you want to shift from one hosting provider to another that is also possible. Nowadays, most of the hosting providers provide porting solutions free of cost.
So far we have seen why WordPress has emerged as a leader among the above list of technologies.
What is WordPress and why WordPress?
Let’s come back to our main subject, why WordPress. You may not believe, being a programmer for the last 10 years, I did not know what is WordPress until last year. Of course, I have heard the name but I never cared to learn what it was.
Let’s check out what WordPress says about itself. See the description below from the WordPress site itself.
I think you don’t require any more explanation from my side for “why wordpress”. Still, let me tell you WordPress is a fantastic tool developed by Mr. Matt Mullenweg and team. You can download and install the package free of cost from the website WordPress.org.
Technology behind WordPress
WordPress is developed on PHP as the core technology. The database used is MySQL. Both of them are free soft wares under GNU GPLv2. Total download size of the basic installer is about 20 MB. Once you have downloaded the setup, you can install it either on your local server or on the live server by following these few simple steps.
If you are a non technical user and you are facing issues while installing and configuring WordPress, then you can reach me at [email protected] I will help you to configure it free of cost.
As I said earlier, being a programmer It took some time for me to understand and set up WordPress on my local server. So I am happy to help anyone who is struggling to set up his first site on WordPress.
After Installation, you will have the option to select the themes and plugins. There are both free and paid versions. You can find a few of my free plugins here.Just for a startup site, free ones are more than enough. You can select and change the theme as you wish and your site layout will change accordingly.
What are the Pros and Cons of WordPress?
Let have a look at pros first
- It is Open Source – As we see earlier WordPress core application is free to download and distribute. There are a lot of themes and plugins available free of cost to download. You don’t have to spend anything other than hosting charges to setup your first website. This is one of the great answer for your question why WordPress.
- Simple and user-friendly – The interface is very simple and anyone can master it in a few days. Even though you are a non-technical person, you can learn it and start publishing posts in a few days.
- SEO Friendly system – A lot of plugins are available which helps to improve the SEO of your website. SEO by YOST is the most famous one. It takes care of your robot.txt file and XML site-map creation. It has a lot of features like focus keyword, readability check etc. which will make your site SEO optimized.
- Responsive Layouts – Almost all WordPress theme support a mobile friendly version. Responsive design means the ability of the website to detect the display screen size and render suitable version accordingly. Usually, it is taken care by style sheets to generate a minimal version for screens having a resolution less that 720 px and full version when the screen size is higher.
- Versatile – You can use WordPress to create a different set of websites.
- Business website
- Photo gallery
- Music store
- E-commerce website
- Content Management Systems
- Online magazine
- And lot more…
Now there is no significance to the question why WordPress. But… There are cons in WordPress too.
What are Cons of WordPress
- Have similar look and feel – Since you are developing the sites on the same platform, most of the themes on WordPress looks similar. Since the themes are uses by more than one sites it looks similar to each other even though you change the color settings. I have noticed some sites which were using the same theme of mine but with a simple modification in the color scheme.
- Information security – When you are using free plugins, you are compromising on your information security. The developer can write a code which may post your personal and professional data to his website or email account. The possibility is rare because each and every plugin goes through a manual verification by the WordPress team before publishing. Still, you can not trust any developer for sneaky codes.
I know it is not fair to find out the drawback of such an excellent system which comes free of cost. Though they are less in numbers, they are critical when you develop a business website.
Hope this article helped you understanding WordPress. Do post your queries and suggestions.